Otelco | Arab, AL
Install and replace aerial cable, including installation of messenger strands and transfer of cable and equipment from old poles to new poles. Set poles using a pole truck and digging and bracing equipment. Install and maintain cable within underground conduit system. Places direct buried cable using plowing, digging, and trenching equipment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Install buried cable by operating plowing, digging and trenching equipment. Maintain buried cable by testing and repairing cable as required.
- Repair and maintain aerial cable by installing and replacing aerial cable and strands.
- Set new telephone poles using pole truck and digging and bracing equipment.
- Install Central Office feeder and distribution cable.
- Splice cable and cut terminals for new construction. Maintain and repairs new cable plant copper and fiber optic lines by opening and bonding lines and fibers.
- Responsible for routine care and maintenance for assigned vehicles.
- Clear bush and tree limbs for right-of-way and cable/line clearance.
- Performs all other construction related duties as assigned by management.
- Knowledge of telephone line construction process.
- Knowledge of telecommunications plant operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge of company products and services.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of state and federal safety regulations.
- Skill in operating service equipment including, marking materials, cable reel trailers, and various hand tools and testing equipment.
- Skill in operating various outside plant vehicles and construction equipment.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, staking sheets, and operating and maintenance instruction manuals.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or GED equivalent.